Job Description :
1. Database Administrative support of SQL Server versions 2008 - 2016 : Monitoring, maintenance and housekeeping of SQL Server and Databases, SQL Jobs, User Access management and regular client requests.
Writing and tuning SQL codes and highly customized jobs.
2. Infrastructure support of SQL Server versions 2008 - 2014 : server / instance installs (stand-alone and clustered), service-pack upgrades, hot fixes, client tool installs, readiness programs, new feature exploitation, research and development.
3. BI support of SSIS and SSRS : Deployment, Security, performance tuning, Creating and enforcing Standards & best practices, automate repetitive tasks, designing, troubleshoot and diagnose issues with SSIS, SSRS.
4 Support of application and upgrade database (Database Migration / upgrade) from existing SQL versions to latest SQL Server versions.
5. Incident Management : Knowledge of Incident management process and participation in a rotational on-call schedule to support off hours production incidents
6. Occasional participation in after-hours and weekend support of production implementations, infrastructure activities, and various disaster recovery exercises
7. Maintaining up-to-date documentation and procedures for all supported applications and environments.
8. Maintaining 99.99% availability for all production environments.
9. Evaluation of functionality and features with newer versions of the SQL Server DBMS / database related tools
10. Pro-active and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
11. Monitoring and support of nightly production batch cycles (SQL Jobs and SSIS Packages).
12. Regular review of database maintenance / support tasks and performance improvement procedures
13. Work Planning / Escalation : Organizing and monitoring personal workload and escalating to manager when issues arise
14. Continuous Improvement : Sharing ideas for process improvement and innovative solutions to known problems
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ATTITUDES :
1. SQL Server Concepts like SQL Architecture, Indexes, T-SQL skills & DMV.
2. Database Maintenance / Support tasks and lower-level monitoring using tools like profiler, DMV, Perfmon
3. SQL Server Replication, Backup / Restore, maintenance plans and DR recovery strategies.
4. Troubleshooting & diagnose issues with both SSIS & SSRS (Deploy, design, Security, Tuning, Creating and enforcing Standards & best practices, automate)
5. Understanding of system tables, stored procedures, functions, triggers & SQL tuning
6. General troubleshooting like assisting clients with various issues related to connectivity, permissions, access, distributed queries issues, suggesting solutions, best practices etc.
7. SQL Server Security, adept in creating and maintain complex User and permission management environment using AD groups, DB roles, SQL ids and Proxy accounts.
1. Knowledge of Performance Tuning by analyzing, optimizing and rewriting / re-designing SQL codes.
2. Knowledge of SQL Server database tuning using Profiler, Index Tuning Wizard, Dynamic Management Views and Functions (DMVs), and other third-party tools.
3. Hands-on experience with SQL Server installations and patching.
4. PowerShell scripting to automate DBA related tasks. Ability to understand existing automated tasks and tweak / troubleshoot them.
5. Some knowledge of data-mapping and logical and physical data modeling.
6. Knowledge of clustering, Always on / multi node clusters at the time of DR process.
7. Knowledge of AWS, Specifically, migration to AWS from in premise data center